Cover letters should always be included with any resume you submit. Your cover letter may be as important as your resume. Cover letters are customized to fit the job being sought.
An excellent cover letter:
- Is addressed to a specific person.
- Identifies the job you are applying for and how you found out about it.
- Briefly summarizes your skills in relationship to the job you are applying for.
- Tells the employer when you are available for an interview and when you can start work.
- Provides information on how to contact you.
JobStar Central has a lot of great information to help you develop your cover letters.
The following cover letter is a sample of what you might use to get a part-time job during high school or college.
September 1, 2018
Mrs. Linda Chang, Personnel Manager
5683 Business Center
Industrial City, California 91820
Dear Mrs. Chang:
In the August 20 issue of Career Magazine, you advertised for a retail sales trainee. Please consider me as an applicant. I graduated from Excellence High School in June. My high school program included two years as a retail merchandising student. This program helped me develop skills in sales, inventory, merchandise stocking, display work, and the use of computerized cash registers.
My resume is enclosed. I am available immediately for part-time or full-time employment. It would be possible for me to report for a personal interview any day at your convenience. I appreciate your consideration. You may reach me at (626) 555-1212 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Lisa Ortiz (Your Signature)
142 South Street
El Monte, CA 91735