One of the most successful ways to find a new job is using a job search network. And networking is an essential component for career success.
Business networks are a collection of people or organizations designed to cooperate with each other to work together, share ideas, and opportunities. Building a network takes getting to know people, helping them, and letting them help you.
Begin building your network by reaching out to people you already know. For example:
• Friends and neighbors
• School groups: student government, choir, debate/speech
• Members of clubs: Health club, sports teams, hiking club
• Former employers, including supervisors and co-workers
• Service organizations: Rotary, Kiwanis
• Volunteer associations: Past and present
Expand your network by making new contacts through professional associations. A professional association is a collection of people that supports the interests of their profession and people in that profession.
What Students Say about Professional Associations [WMV; 02:54]
CareerPneStop Find Professional Associations
O*NET Online Professional Associations Search